header

Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekend Project: DIY Chalkboard

After being stuck in the house for two weeks with the plague, hubs and I decided to head out Friday night and start a project.  (There are only so many On-Demand movies one can watch in a week.)

We have been talking about putting a framed chalkboard in our kitchen for months now and we finally bit the bullet and tackled the project.  (Why we had the urge to start another project when we have the arrival of our baby quickly approaching and a new home that still needs our attention is beyond me..I guess we just enjoy doing projects over here!)

So we headed out to one of my favorite places in the world...Home Goods!  We found a gorgeous mirror that matched our cabinets and backsplash almost perfectly.  There were a few scratches on the mirror and since it was going to be covered it wouldn't be a problem but I decided to try to work my magic and we ended up getting the already awesomely priced mirror for 20% off! Yah! (It didn't feel right to pay full-price for a mirror that was going to be painted anyway.)

I knew the "Mommy Car" would come in handy for many things. :)

We found a great chalkboard paint at Home Depot that we had tinted chocolate while we waited, gathered a few supplies, and we were back home in less than an hour.  (A little anxious maybe?!)

After scruffing up the mirror with sandpaper and taping the frame, we were ready to paint.  The paint went on so smoothly and after 3-4 coats it was dry and ready to be hung the next morning.  


The instructions say to wait 4 days before writing on the chalkboard and the only reason why I am waiting is because I have a husband that likes to follow instructions.  Patience Sara, patience!

I LOVE the chalkboard, but I must be honest.  It turns out that our wonderful Home Goods mirror was in fact a Home Goods mirror and it was bowed just enough that it wouldn't lie flat against our wall.  SO we took the mirror down and will be heading back out next weekend to do the project once again and this time I will make sure the mirror is straight...the Tinn's do not give up!!

Practice makes perfect. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.